You are here
Students covered under the Post 9/11 GI Bill® will need to have a rate of pursuit of 51% or higher in order to start receiving a housing allowance. The rate of pursuit is determined by dividing the number of credits a student is taking by the number of credits the school considers full-time.
Payment rates for all other chapters are determined by the number of credits in which they are enrolled.
The VA calculates the training time rates based on the list below.
- Full Time: 12+ credits
- 3/4 Time: 9 - 11 credits
- 1/2 Time: 6 - 8 credits
- Less than 1/2 Time: 4 - 5 credits
- 1/4 Time: 1 - 3 credits
- Full Time: 9+ credits (see advisor for exceptions)
- 1/2 Time: 5 - 8 credits
- Less than 1/2 Time: 1 - 4 credits
Variable Week Sessions
- Pre-Session (May 15 - June 3): Minimum of 2 units for full time status.
- Seven Week 1 (May 15 - June 30): Minimum of 5 units for full time status.
- Thirteen Week (May 15 - August 9): Minimum of 8 units for full time status.
- Five Week 1 (June 5 - July 6): Minimum of 4 units for full time status.
- Ten Week (June 5 - August 9): Minimum of 6 units for full time status.
- Seven Week 2 (July 3 - August 18): Minimum of 5 units for full time status.
- Pre-Session (July 10 - August 9): Minimum of 3 units for full time status.
- Sixteen Week (Aug 21 - Dec 6): Minimum of 12 units for full time status
- Eight Week 1 (Aug 28 - Oct 22): Minimum of 6 units for full time status
- Eight Week 2 (Oct 23 - Dec 17): Minimum of 6 units for full time status
- Seven Week 1 (Aug 21 - Oct 11): Minimum of 5 units for full time status
- Seven Week 2 (Oct 12 - Dec 6): Minimum of 6 units for full time status
- Five Week 1 (Aug 21 - Sep 23): Minimum of 4 units for full time status
- Five Week 2 (Sep 25 - Oct 28): Minimum of 4 units for full time status
- Five Week 3 (Oct 30 - Dec 6): Minimum of 4 units for full time status
The GI Bill® will cover students having to attend a secondary school to fulfill degree requirements of their primary school. By completing a Concurrent Enrollment Form (also known as a Parent Authorization Letter) and forwarding it to the primary school's academic advisor, students will ensure continuation of coverage during the semester.
Students using the GI Bill® may qualify to defer their tuition/fees payment every semester. To learn if you qualify please contact Clara Gonzalez.
For more information on deferments, see the Bursar's Office Deferment Policy.
If you are considering participating in a study abroad program make sure you fully understand what the VA will and will not pay for. There are additional steps you must take in order to receive educational benefits from the VA for study abroad courses. For up-to-date information on this benefit, visit the .
Additionally, students must fill out the “Approval for Global Studies/Study Abroad Credit” PRIOR to registering in the class. You may access the form by visiting the UA South Study Abroad Checklist. This form must be completed by the student, signed by the student’s academic advisor and UA South Certifying Official.
"GI Bill®" is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. Government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill